Saturday, June 14, 2008

Getting Through ND

Sat June 14th Lots of what they call "cone zones"

Approaching Bismarck ND

While I was doing the post at the Washburn Rest Area MM was outside taking pictures. It was a Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center. There were several buffalo siloettes,

and the sculptures of Lewis, Clark & Sakakawea.

It was a great rest area as you can see. After leaving there we drove a little farther to Minot ND and filled up again to get us up to Saskatchewan. Just as we were leaving the filling station the weather monitor and radio both announced at the same time there was a severe storm coming to this area. From the looks of it we were headed straight into it. I asked MM if he had checked the storage bays lately. He looked at me quizzically and I just said “I’m sure Duffy has to be in one of them. We have never had this kind of weather on a trip.” Her trips always include tornados and hail.
Just as they were talking about 70 mph winds and hail the size of quarters we saw a sign for a campground. I took this as a sign and said pull over lol. We were barely in the site for 5 minutes before the winds picked up and a horrific storm went through. We wanted to be in Canada by morning, but 70 mph winds is a bit much even for us. We plan on getting an early start (yeah, I’ve said that before) and seeing if we can’t make up some ground. I keep saying we’re not in any hurry, but I want to get to Alaska!

4 comments:

Becki said...

Hope you let Duffy out soon and get some nicer weather! Hahahaha...

Tammy said...

I'm so glad you guys are out of Iowa! But you didn't have to take the weather with you. I'm looking at Duffy so no she is not with you. That looked like a really nice rest stop. It's fun when they have a little bit of the history of the area at them. I hope you make up ground and I wish you would get to Alaska too. I can't wait to hear about it.

Tammy said...

Judi,
I have been following your journey and what an adventure! I have been to that rest area and yes, it is very cool! Sorry about the weather and I'm still here in the office, no where even close to you!! Hopefully the further west you go the better it gets, I mean sunnier days not more wicked weather!!

Duffy

Anonymous said...

Hey Judi...I just wanted to say that I'm loving your blog and it sounds like you guys are having great time. We all miss you!! Love, Kelly (genoa)