Monday, April 21, 2008

WHAT A WEEKEND!!

Don't know how I am still standing, much less walking, but God is good. The rain held off all weekend. I got home from work on Friday and joined the Maintenance Man on the rooftop. He'd already been up there for an hour. We wanted to get a head start and make it look a little less daunting for our crew that was coming Saturday. I'm not a height kind of person so I pretty much crawled around loosening shingles and stacking them to be hauled. The jeans I had on that night were in the garbage as soon as I came down because the seat was gone. So much for crawling around on a gravel like roof. We worked til we couldn't see any more - him 4 1/2 hours and me 3 1/2 hours and we got about a third of the back roof off. Saturday MM was back up there by 7:30 as I ran off to the store to get food and water for the troops. Everyone got there early as planned and got working. There was another crew there working on tying in the new porch roof with the existing house roof. And then they were following our crew in reroofing what we had torn off. The tearoff was done by about 2 and the guys were whipped. When it is not your everyday job it does take it's toll. My daughter and peanut were here for the day too so that made it more special. She (my daughter not peanut)helped a lot putting shingles into the dumpster, baking cookies and keeping the guys supplied with water and food.

Sunday morning the roofing crew came back out to finish roofing the back of the house. MM and I continued working on the ground hauling shingles that had been tossed off the roof at the opposite end of the house from the dumpster. After that had been all cleaned up we were walking around searching for nails. What a task. Fortunately, a neighbor spotted us and brought over a powerful magnet for picking up nails. What a great tool. I went around the house once so far and I think it'll be a good thing to go around again just to make sure. We do not want any flat tires on the lawn mower.

So, all in all we had the perfect weekend. lol Perfect weather, no injuries (a few sore muscles) and a new roof on the house. It looks great! We're already enjoying the new porch even though it is not finished. The porch makes a hugh difference in the appearance of the house, all the neighbors are stopping by to say how great it looks. I just know we will have year of enjoyment and relaxation sitting out there.

4 comments:

Tammy said...

I can't wait to see it. I'm so glad it didn't rain and you have your part of the project done.

Becki said...

Let's do it again next weekend - JUST KIDDING!!! ;)

SandyCarlson said...

That was quite a weekend! Congratulations on mustering your courage and getting up there to do thet thing!

Jodi said...

Hello! Thanks for stopping by my blog today! We always end up with lots of leftovers too, as my kids are 3 and 1 and don't eat too much. Fortunately my hubby doesn't mind taking them for lunch. :)

Congrats on the new roof! My husband keeps making noise about our house needing a new one, and reading your post has only confirmed my suspicion- I don't want to!

Blessings to you!